17 July 2009

The Emperor's wardrobe is overflowing with new suits

I didn't want to let the internet addiction story just sail on by without taking a look at how it's determined whether me and you have an 'addiction'. I typed in 'internet addiction' and got a page that gave a test, a bit of self-diagnosis by the looks of it. I didn't want to go there; I might get a shock, at least that's what's supposed to happen.

Instead I went to find who the top bod is who's pushing this stuff. I found a Dr Kimberly Young, "...an internationally known expert on Internet addiction and online behaviour." By the way, no idea what makes her an 'expert' on this. But I noticed she wrote a paper, Drug Treatment for Internet Addiction. So this means you can take drugs to overcome the desire to log on, or to visit a web site or any other internet activity. I really don't buy this rubbish.

The usual stuff then. Behaviour that seems to be a bit odd, call it something, and drug it. Oh, and make a bucket load of cash in the process by going around talking about it.

I think the Emperor's wardrobe is overflowing with new suits.

No comments: