11 March 2014

Scientist awarded for researching stuff that doesn't exist

After almost a three-year hiatus, I'm back and what a story to start with.

This is a story of nice work if you can get it son, can you lend us a fiver mate? A big shot, sooper-dooper Cambridge scientist Trevor Robbins is sharing a one million euro slush fund, whoops, that should be prize, for researching stuff to do with the brain.

An article in the Cambridge News says all sorts of things, including technical bits and bobs and other stuff, but the bit that caught my eye was Professor Robbins' work had lead to major discoveries related to good old ADHD. Oh yeah? Is that right? After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I asked myself, "What the...? How the hell did that happen? Where have I been all this time?"

I'm no Sherlock Holmes and I'm not a rocket scientist, but there's a major stumbling block to the good Prof's research. Here's the question I asked myself, "How can anyone research stuff related to ADHD?" No one out there in Shrinkdom has found ADHD. And that's not for the want of trying. Shrinks have been giving it their best shot but there's still no cigar. The newspaper story says that, "...specific circuits in the forebrain regulate the formation of habits and addiction to drugs, while also showing how disturbances of this circuitry can lead to ADHD and OCD." So, here comes the killer question Professor - how d'you know that then?

How can you say something leads to ADHD when you can't even find it, look at it, touch it, feel it, poke it with a stick or anything? Oh, and you hope the research will lead to new drugs. Well, that's nice for the Big Pharma boys throwing money at you and your mates. Lundbeck isn't it? What are the bets they'll use your research about Scotch Mist aka ADHD, give it to their alchemists, so they can come up with a potion that makes tonnes of dosh?

If you don't agree with anything I've said, post something or do something that proves ADHD is real. I'll bet you one million euros and raise you one million that you can't.