08 April 2008

What's the benefit if the risk is death?

I know kids can be a handful at times, but I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would want to give them tranquillisers. And according to the Guardian, these drugs are putting children's lives at risk.

I don't care what kind of a brat you might have on your hands, but giving kids these kinds of drugs sends out the wrong message, or have I got the wrong hymn sheet?

I hear and I read these words in connection with the use of these drugs: "the benefits outweigh the risks." Can anyone tell me what the benefit is if the risk is death? Immortality? And what are the drugs supposed to do to a kid's brain, apart from fry it?

I want this blog to highlight the stupidity of a system that relies on you and me to nod our heads appropriately and, like lemmings, fall in line and accept the hot air we're fed in the pursuit of mental health. Paddy Mac doesn't nod his head and he doesn't buy the hot air. What about you?

When that pursuit of 'mental health' involves the chemical cauterisation of young minds, we should realise it's time to lift the lid off a new jar of coffee, and breathe deeply.

No comments: